Summer is the perfect season for making recipes that include lots fresh veggies and fresh fruits, but do you know what produce are actually in season right now? We are here to make sure you get the most out of your June, July, and August meals with the right choices!
Fresh fruit is the best treat whether it’s for breakfast, a snack or even dessert! During these hot summer months stay refreshed with fruits like apples, apricots, Avocados, Bananas, Blackberries, Blueberries, Cantaloupe, Cherries, Honeydew, kiwi, mango, nectarines, peaches, plums, raspberries, strawberries, and watermelon. We’ve put included a couple recipes for you to enjoy fresh fruits in the hot summer heat!
Summer Berry Cheesecake Salad
1 package cream cheese
½ cup Vanilla Coffee Creamer
- Prepare berries and allow them to dry.
- In a medium tall bowl, whip cream cheese until it becomes smooth.
- Add creamer to the cream cheese one tablespoon at a time; mix until it becomes smooth texture. Repeat until the entire creamer is added.
- Combine berries in a large bowl. Gently fold cheesecake mixture until completely combined.
- Chill until ready to serve!
Fruit is a great addition to summer cocktails! Try this Melon Ball Punch to embrace melon season!
Melon Ball Punch
25.4 oz. Sparkling white grape juice (we recommend using a sparkling wine for an adult beverage)
2 cups clear lemon line flavored soda
1 small watermelon
1 small cantaloupe
1 small honeydew
Fresh mint leaves
2 limes, sliced
- In a pitcher stir together, sparkling juice (wine), soda and lemonade.
- Place in the fridge to chill.
- Use a melon baller (or a spoon) to scoop out the flesh of the melons.
- Place melon balls on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Freeze.
- Once frozen add a few cups of melon balls to pitcher along with fresh mint leaves and slices of lime. Stir.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Serve cold using additional frozen melon balls as ice cubes!
Summer is a great time to take your vegetables to the next level on the grill! Swap your carb-loaded side dishes with veggie dishes for a healthier meal this season! Vegetables to grab on your next shopping trip are beets, bell peppers, carrots, celery, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, green beans, lima beans, summer squash, zucchini, and tomatoes. Here is a dish to try!
Roasted Garlic-Parmesan Summer Veggies
2 small zucchini, cut into ½-inch thick slices
2 small yellow squash, cut into ½-inch thick slices
12 oz. Flavorino or small Campari tomatoes, sliced into halves
3 tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ¼ tsp. Italian seasoning
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic and Italian seasoning.
- Place zucchini, squash, and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Pour olive oil mixture over top and gently toss with hands to evenly coat.
- Pour onto baking dish and spread into an even layer. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top of each.
- Roast in preheated oven 25-30 minutes until veggies are tender and Parmesan is a golden brown.
Living in Pittsburgh, there are plenty of opportunities to get delicious fruits and veggies at Farmer’s Markets! Support your local vendors and get the freshest produce by visiting the various markets all summer long.
Lawrenceville Farmers Market
June 3- October 28 from 1pm – 4pm
Bloomfield Saturday Market
May 20-November 4 from 9am – 1pm
Swissvale Farmers Market
May 13-October 28 from 9am – 1 pm
Monroeville Lions Farmers Market
Starting May 13 from 9am – 12 pm
Sewickley Farmers Market
Through November 21 from 9am – 1pm
Shadyside Farmers Market
June 3—September 30 from 10am – 2 pm
CitiParks Squirrel Hill
June—November from 9am – 1pm
CitiParks East Liberty
May—November from 3pm – 7pm
CitiParks South Side
May—November 3pm – 7pm
CitiParks Carrick Dairy District
June—November from 3pm – 7pm
Farmers at Phipps
Starting June 7 from 2:30pm- 6:30pm
Ross Twp. Farmers Market
Starting May 17 from 3pm – 7pm
Market Square Downtown Farmers Market
May 11—October 26 from 10am – 2pm
June—October from 3pm – 7pm
Green Tree Farmers Market
May—October from 4pm – 7pm
CitiParks Mellon Square
May—November from 10am – 2pm
CitiParks North Side
May—November from 3pm – 7pm
- How to Enjoy the Holidays
- Unique Gift Ideas
- Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Tips for Holiday Entertaining
- How to Decorate Small for the Holidays
- Homemade Mulled Wine and Cider
- Holiday Apartment Décor
- Winter Recipes to Warm Your Soul
- 5 Recipes to Reinvent Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Your Stress-Free Thanksgiving