It’s summer time. You’ve been waiting for this all year, and it’s finally here. Summer is the best time of the year to have a picnic with your loved ones. Many things can go wrong, but if you plan accordingly you can avoid picnic disasters that may ruin your time. Get ready to enjoy your time because we have the perfect tips for you!
What to bring:
- Basket or Bag: to carry all your picnic essentials.
- Blanket: to sit on while you enjoy your nice meal.
- Silverware: to eat your food. Don’t forget spoons for dessert!
- Napkins: just in case you spill something or get grease on your hands.
- Umbrella: to make sure you are ready for any type of weather
- Cups: to serve your favorite drink.
- Music: to set the mood
- Bug spray: the last thing you want is to have mosquitos bother you.
- Food & Drinks: make sure to not forget the essentials!
Locations for your picnic in Pittsburgh:
- Point State Park: If you’re not really into the nature scene, this is a great location to avoid grass. You can sit on the steps as you enjoy the fountains mist over you. Perfect for a hot day!
- Mount Washington: Make a whole trip out of your picnic date. Take the Duquesne Incline and end up in Mount Washington where you can find a spot looking over Pittsburgh’s skyline. Then head over to grab ice cream in a nearby shop.
- Randy Land: This is the perfect spot if you’re in for a wild ride. Visit Randy Land in the North Side and eat your food in Randy’s beautiful backyard that is open to the public free of charge. What makes this place special is the experience that comes with it. Sit down and listen to Randy’s tales as you enjoy a quick bite.
- Frick Park: For the adventurer that wants to walk around after the picnic and explore new grounds. This 650-acre park is an excellent choice. Even your dog can tag along!
- Schenley Plaza: Enjoy a beautiful day out by visiting this plaza that serves as an entrance to Schenley Park. After, head over and explore The Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh’s campus.
- Tic-Tack boxes: Use these recycled containers to pack your different spices.
- To-go wine cups: Buy pre-packaged wine to make your day go smother and maximize the space in your basket.
- To-go speaker: Bring a glass cup and stick your phone in there to turn up the music for a picnic full of dancing.
- Disposable utensils: Once you’re done, throw away what you’ve used. This makes cleaning up easier.
- Mason Jars: Use these, to pack certain foods like salads. You can eat out of the container making your picnic prep easier.
- Shower Curtain: Lay a shower curtain under your blanket to avoid it from getting damp.
- Pack cold foods: This way you don’t have to worry if your food getting cold. Remember, cheese platters go perfectly with wine.
With #MDW coming up, students, teachers, and desk jockeys alike will enjoy the one-day extension of the last weekend in May. There are countless reasons to celebrate this weekend – especially to honor the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. But also, Memorial Day marks the start of pool openings, extended hours at your favorite ice cream shops, and the return of countless summer activities in Pittsburgh like kayaking, shaved ice at Gus and Yia Yia’s, and farmer’s markets.
Let the Countdown Begin
Ah, the red, white, and blue. Memorial Day Weekend is the summer’s first patriotic holiday that honors American history. And like most holidays, there is a deep history. The origin of Memorial Day dates back to the years following the Civil War where many lives were lost. Memorial Day was created to honor the Americans that fought in the Civil War. Then, following WWI, the United States declared that Memorial Day would celebrate the brave men and women who lost their lives in all wars – present and future.
Many Americans celebrate now by visiting cemeteries or memorials or by participating in parades around the city.
With May 29th right around the corner marking the “unofficial start” of summer, what are your #MDW plans?
Memorial Day BBQ Ideas
Many Americans celebrate #MDW by having a cookout. Nothing says summertime than freshly grilled hamburgers, hot dogs, and BBQ chicken on the grill. Check out our Pinterest page for more ideas!
Park View residents are in luck to have four areas to grill out on site. Choose from Park View One or Park View Two’s rooftop sundecks, or Park View Three and Four’s patios. Bring your food, drinks, and friends to enjoy these great amenities.
At City View, #MDW is when the Olympic-sized heated swimming pool opens for the season! Opening May 27th, the pool’s hours will be 9am-9pm all weekend! Residents can use the patio grills and then take food down to the pool to socialize with neighbors. But remember – no glass is allowed by the pool!
And, just in time for summer, Carson Street Common’s grilling station opened on May 1st. With three grills and ample seating, residents can enjoy their own #MDW BBQ and enjoy this new amenity.
Faros Residential Offices Closed
Just a heads up – all management offices at Park View Apartments, City View Apartments, and Carson Street Commons will be closed on Monday, May 29th in observance of this holiday. However, there will be a maintenance and house worker scheduled in place for all properties if residents need assistance.
Get Social With Us!
How will you be using the outdoor amenities at your apartments? Share your photos on social media for a chance to win Pirates tickets! Enjoy and have a safe, fun holiday! Find and like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/parkviewpgh, www.facebook.com/cityviewpgh, and www.facebook.com/carsonstreetapts) and Instagram (www.instagram.com/farosresidential).
This May through early June, the activities in Pittsburgh seem endless. With four fun-filled festivals, unlimited farmer’s markets, races, and concerts, there truly won’t be a dull moment. With fingers crossed that the Pittsburgh Penguins advance to the Stanley Cup, the Eastern Conference Finals series is taking place this week. See the full schedule here. Also, not to mention, the Pittsburgh Pirates’ season is in full swing. Grab a game, beer, and hot dog and find a game that fits your schedule by clicking here.
Without further ado, here are our pick for things to do around Pittsburgh!
These four upcoming festivals will give you a taste of summer, getting you into the mood for all that summer in the ‘Burgh has to offer. Look no further to these events – some paid and some FREE – for full enjoyment you won’t want to miss. Whether you’re going with your family, on a date, or solo, these festivals won’t disappoint because they are diverse, offer a wide variety of activities, and are happening this weekend through mid-June!
- EQT Children’s Theater Festival: May 18-21
- Pick from a handful of performances created specifically for kids, or choose a hands-on activity like planting seeds, participating in a Lego Derby or scavenger hunt.
- Link: https://pghkids.trustarts.org/kids
- South Side Dog Festival: May 21
- Stop by this FREE event with your pup this Sunday from 12-5 p.m. It’s a block party on 24th & Carson St. with doggy contests, rescue visits, vendors, food/drink, giveaways, games and fun for all ages! Bring your Dog and enjoy a family-friendly day celebrating our furry friends!
- Link: https://www.facebook.com/SouthSideDogFestival/
- Pittsburgh Three Rivers Arts Festival: June 2-11
- Pittsburgh’s iconic festival returns for another 10 days of art, entertainment, and delicious food. For the full band and vendor line up, check out their website to plan your trip!
- Link: https://traf.trustarts.org/
- Pittsburgh Jazz Life International Festival: June 16-18
- World renowned musicians and new artists to watch will play jazz every night of the week in our city. There’s no place like Pittsburgh! For a full list of the featured artists and events, check out their link!
- Link: http://pittsburghjazzlive.com/
Farmer’s Markets Around the City
Just because you live within City limits does not mean you should sacrifice delicious, homegrown fruits and vegetables and homemade jams, pasta, and bread. That’s where Pittsburgh’s farmer’s markets come in handy. Some markets open this weekend, with all markets open by June.
Upcoming Races Near Pittsburgh
While the Pittsburgh Marathon has come, and gone, there are other 5k races and charity walks/runs to participate in. Keep up your motivation to get and stay fit by signing up! Check out the full listing in their link.
Okay – so maybe we’re a little biased, but our summer events are going to be a blast. We want you to mark your calendars and save the date for our two most upcoming events – a Fiesta on the Roof and a Pool Party.
- Fiesta on the Roof: June 15, 6-8 p.m.
- Summer Pool Party: July 15
- Make a splash at City View Apartments and join neighbors of all three Faros Residential properties for a summer pool party. We’ll watch Jaws on an outdoor movie screen, eat snacks, and make a splash! Read more in our blogpost!
- Link: https://farosresidential.com/pool-party-at-city-view-apartments/
Upcoming Concerts Near Pittsburgh
City View Apartment residents have amazing accessibility to PPG Paints Arena, which is located right next to City View Apartments. This arena, home to the Pittsburgh Penguins who are currently in the Eastern Conference Finals, also hosts huge concerts. Here’s a list of upcoming musical performances at PPG Paints Arena:
- Chance the Rapper: May 20
- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: June 9
- Daryl Hall & John Oats: June 13
Park View Apartments residents are in luck because they are a 10 minute walk to Stage AE, which is an indoor/outdoor concert venue located near Park View Apartments. In the summer time, concert-goers can sit out on the grass and listen to muscians or get up-close-and-personal with the bands by dancing right in front of the stage. This venue is hosting concerts as well, such as:
- Coheed and Cambria: May 18
- Franz Ferdinand: May 27
- Old Crow Medicine Show: May 30
- Foster the People: June 4
We want to hear from you! What are your favorite events happening this month? Interact with us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/parkviewpgh, www.facebook.com/cityviewpgh, and www.facebook.com/carsonstreetapts) or Instagram (www.instagram.com/farosresidential)
Summer is the perfect time to spend your days outside enjoying the sun but the city heat can leave you sweltering. Luckily, our City View Apartments located in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, are equipped with an Olympic-sized swimming pool to keep you cooled off all summer long!
While the pool is a great place to relax it is also ideal to amp up your summer workout! Don’t waste a beautiful day inside at the gym; get on outside and into the pool to sculpt your summer body. Pair these 8 water exercises with some laps for the ultimate pool workout!
- Jogging—just like you would on land! Zigzag as you run in one direction and then run through the current on the way back and forth for five minutes.
- Tread water—Shoot for five minutes or however long you can last!
- Pool edge Push ups—Place hands on edge of the pool deck and push and lift your body out of the water for 2 sets of 15.
- Flutter kicks—Extend your legs and stretch out flat across the surface of the water. Kick for 30 seconds at a moderate pace, speed up for next 15 seconds, and then kick as fast as you can for 15 more seconds. Repeat 5 times.
- Barre-style workout—Grasp onto edge of the pool and extend one leg back, point your toes, and lift your leg up to work your glutes. Next, lift your leg out to the side and cross it back in front to work your adductors, alternating legs for 3 sets of 15.
- Bicycles—Put your elbows on the side of the pool and bicycle for 2 minutes.
- Water sit-ups—Hook your knees over the edge of the pool, placing hands on the chest and sit up. If you want to challenge yourself even more, place your hands behind your head and submerse yourself completely under the water between each sit up. Do 2 sets of 10.
- Water savasana—Float motionless in the water, eyes closed, limbs out for as long as you would like!
Our two full-sized tennis courts and the sand volleyball court offer even more opportunities to get active this summer without being trapped in doors.
Looking to relax? Invite your friends over to grill up a tasty lunch on our Tree House patio before heading down to the pool area to lounge!
The outdoor amenities of City View will leave you feeling like you’ve traveled to a tropical resort without ever leaving the city!
Pool hours are as follows:
- May 27th through June 10th—3 p.m. to 9p.m.
- June 11th through August 21st—9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- August 22nd through September 3rd—3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- The pool will be closed for the summer starting September 4th.
Saturday July 15th, all three of our apartment complexes are invited to join us for a nighttime pool party from 8 to 11 p.m.! City View, Park View and Carson Street residents can mingle over hot dogs, popcorn, and snow cones while swimming in the pool or relaxing on the deck. Once the sun sets, find a great spot to watch Jaws on a big screen TV from right in the pool! Please RSVP for this entertaining night to email@example.com. Did we mention there will be raffles for Pirate Tickets? Don’t miss out!
There is no time to siesta because we are throwing a fiesta!
June 15th all residents from Park View Apartments, City View Apartments, and Carson Street Commons are invited to fiesta with us on the rooftop of Park View One! What better way to enjoy one of the first nights of summer than with a killer view of the city and neighbors from all of our apartment complexes!
There will be appetizers catered by Steel Cactus to munch, Margarita snow cones to sip on, and mariachi music to dance to. Don’t forget the event is BYOT (Bring your own tequila) to amp up your snow cone! So, come on over and fiesta with us to be entered for a chance to win tickets to the Pittsburgh Pirates game! It is going to be a great night for fun, food, and friends. We can’t wait to fiesta like there is no mañana with you!
Park View Apartments Rooftop Perks
Park View Apartments residents can enjoy the rooftop all summer long. Park View Apartments have fabulous rooftop lounges complete with cozy, reclined chairs and out-of-this-world views of the city that will make you never want to leave. The good news is Park View residents don’t have to!
Utilize the luxurious grills any time of the week to create your favorite summer dishes, and you won’t have to waste any time cooking inside on beautiful days. You can even bring your pups on up to the outdoor patio to enjoy the fresh air while you soak up the sun!
Zambelli Fireworks Nights
At night, head on out to the rooftop area where you will get a spectacular view of the fireworks when our Pirates’ hit a home-run! Also, select Fridays of the season are Zambelli Fireworks night, so invite your friends on over, grab a seat and enjoy the show! Listed below are the dates of the firework shows you won’t want to miss!
- June 9th
- June 30th
- August 18th
- September 1st
- September 22nd
With so many options for Park View Apartment residents to enjoy their rooftop, it is the most opportune time to get to know your neighbors. Whether you are lounging in the sun or grilling up dinner after work, it a great time to socialize! Summer is the perfect time to grill up easy-to-share appetizers like these Teriyaki Grilled Shrimp and Pineapple Skewers! This is a great recipe that is quick, easy and can be modified to your taste and to the size of your crowd!
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 pineapples peeled and sliced into ½ inch by 2 inch pieces
- *For the Teriyaki Sauce: ¼ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup pineapple juice, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons garlic, 1-tablespoon sriracha
- Make combine marinade ingredients. Simmer everything until the sugar has melted before setting aside to cool.
- Marinate the shrimp in the marinade for 30 minutes, skewer shrimp and pineapples slices and grill over medium-high heat until cooked and slightly charred, about 2-4 minutes per side.
It’s heating up in Pittsburgh, but that doesn’t have to affect the comfort and style of apartment living. We’ll help you cool down with these tips and tricks.
Air conditioning is great, but if it’s not included in your rent, it can be costly in the summertime. Check out these eco-friendly tips to try out in your apartment.
- Run appliances at nighttime: For apartments with dishwashers, preload your dishwasher and start it while you’re away from your apartment or right before bed so the extra heat doesn’t affect you.
- Keep your blinds/shades closed during the day: If you leave your apartment during the day, shut your blinds and curtains to keep out the sun. Your apartment will feel so much cooler when you come home!
- Try out container gardening: Plants need to absorb energy to function, so they take heat from sunlight. Studies show that indoor plants can cool down your apartment!
There’s no need to break the bank this summer on fancy cocktails when can get the ingredients and make them yourself in your own apartment!
Make your balcony your own oasis! Use plants and patio furniture to pimp out your balcony. And, if your balcony gets too buggy, bust out citronella candles and bring out some fans to blow them away. Make it the place to be!
Happy 55th Birthday Light Up Night!
Light Up Night is a Pittsburgh tradition that has survived decades. From its brief hiatus in the 1970s to conserve energy, to its explosive revival in the ‘80s, which brought cheer back to a town sans steel, Light Up Night is to Pittsburgh what the Terrible Towel is to the Steelers – an indispensable part of the season.
What started as a literal “lighting up” of the major department storefronts at exactly 6 p.m. in 1960 has matured in its 55 years to include official tree lighting ceremonies, ice skating at PPG Place, concerts, and an amazing Zambelli Fireworks Display. See the full schedule here: http://www.downtownpittsburgh.com/holidays
Tradition is one thing, but what’s the best part about Light Up Night? It’s happening right outside your apartment! City living has its perks – like being able to walk to all of these great events! But if you plan on driving anywhere Friday 11/20/15, take notice of these road closures: http://www.downtownpittsburgh.com/news/pittsburgh-downtown-partnership-announces-road-closures-associated-with-light-up-night
So this year, grab some friends from your apartment and head down to Light Up Night to celebrate 55 years of Pittsburgh pride and kick off #holidays2015 the right way. Don’t feel like dealing with crowds? Your rooftop terraces, balconies, and community patios are perfect locations to catch the firework finale!
There’s a story behind the flyers that decorate Park View Apartment’s walls, doors, and elevators – and it starts with one resident, a historic library, and a humble mission.
The “Giving in November” book sale originated when one of Park View’s residents, a librarian at the Glenshaw Public Library, evolved a plan to give back to her local community. Reaching out to Faros Properties and the Light of Life Mission in the North Side, she found the resources necessary to reach a wide audience.
“Giving in November” is altruistic at heart – 50% of the proceeds will benefit the Light of Life Ministries in the North Side, which helps the homeless and hungry. The remaining 50% will benefit the Glenshaw Public Library, a historic, non-profit library located less than 10 miles from the city.
Park View Apartments is pleased to host its first ever book sale this November 22, 2015 from 11am-1:30 p.m. in the lobby of PV1. We encourage all residents to stop by and donate. This book sale will get you in the spirit of giving, just in time for the holidays!
4,000 Square Footage of
State-of-the-Art Fitness Centers at Park View Apartments
Advantage Sport & Fitness showcased Park View One’s newly renovated fitness
center in their popular athletic blog. Emphasizing the gym’s various cardio,
strength-training, and weight-training exercise options, the blog highlights
all 2,100 square feet of space and equipment.
you know Park View Apartments have three state-of-the-art fitness centers
totaling 4,000 square feet? That’s a lot of room to workout, train, burn
calories, and achieve any and all of your health goals. And, whether you’re an
early bird or night owl, all of Park View’s fitness centers are open 24/7.
need some more fitspiration? Get ready, set, and go to the gym with these 3
in your earbuds and tune out your problems. Whether its pump-up music or
calming songs helping you through your workout, listening to music is a great
way to get started. Popular apps like Spotify (http://www.sixpackbags.com/blog/best-workout-playlist/), Pandora (http://www.pbfingers.com/2015/04/30/best-pandora-workout-stations/), and Apple Music (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rockmyrun-workout-music-for/id546417608?mt=8) offer free workout playlists.
Good, Feel Good
something magical about new running shoes and matching workout clothes that
make working out a little more tolerable. If you feel good in what you wear, it
motivates you throughout your workout. But, exercise clothes don’t even have to
be new or expensive – if you feel confident in your favorite t-shirt and
shorts, then go ahead and step out.
a Workout Buddy
you live in an apartment community, you’re constantly surrounded by people.
Whether you live alone or with friends, you always have the option of meeting
new people through resident events, hallways, lobbies, and in one of your state-of-the-art fitness centers. Studies have shown that working out with a
partner has positive results! http://www.mensfitness.com/training/six-reasons-to-work-out-with-a-partner
Advantage Sport & Fitness’ blog here: http://www.advantagefitness.com/blog/entry/showcase-park-view-apartments
- Residents will need to stop in the office to get their pool passes during office hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00am-6:00pm & Saturday, 10:00am-5:00pm.
- Residents will be required to sign in with the lifeguards and show their pool pass for access to the pool.
- Guest passes will be available for $5.00 per day but a limited number are available per day so they are issued on a first come first serve basis and we cannot accept cash.
- How to Enjoy the Holidays
- Unique Gift Ideas
- Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Tips for Holiday Entertaining
- How to Decorate Small for the Holidays
- Homemade Mulled Wine and Cider
- Holiday Apartment Décor
- Winter Recipes to Warm Your Soul
- 5 Recipes to Reinvent Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Your Stress-Free Thanksgiving