The Christmas Cactus
The Holiday season is right around the corner! This time of year, brings on many warm and fuzzy feelings, two of which are feeling thankful and in the giving spirit. At Faros Properties, we are beyond thankful for our residents and excited to do a HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY! This year, we are giving away Christmas Cacti! These lovely plants make for great decoration in your apartments all the while getting you in the holiday spirit! We will be giving away Christmas Cacti on the following dates:
Monday, November 20th in City View’s Lobby
Monday, November 20th in Park View One’s Lobby
Monday, November 20th in Carson Street Commons Management Office
Stop by your property’s giveaway site between 5 and 7 p.m. to pick up your holiday plant! HURRY, while supplies last!
You may be wondering, what is a Christmas cactus?
The technical term for it is actually Schlumbergera Cultivar. This plant is found in Brazil and belongs to the Buckleyi Group. Plants in this group generally have flowers that hang down, and pink pollen, you will notice this when you see the cactus! Instead of growing in the ground like many other plants, this cactus was rooted onto tree branches in the rainforest. These cacti do not look much like the typical desert cacti due to these conditions.
What does the cactus have to do with Christmas?
It doesn’t! The only thing that relates Christmas cactus to the holiday season is its period of blooming falls around the same time. When the plant blooms, lovely flowers of red, white, pink, purple or orange appear. While the cactus has no special traditions rooted in the holiday, many display them around their homes during the holiday season!
How to care for your Christmas cactus:
- Keep your cactus near a window because the plant needs indirect sunlight.
- To provide humidity, like its original habitat, keep a tray of water nearby and water the plant regularly. However, overwatering is not good for this plant either. If the top layer of soil is completely dry, that is a sign to water your plant!
Share your cactus’s bloom with us! Post a picture of your cactus in its new home and share with us on Instagram!
- How to Enjoy the Holidays
- Unique Gift Ideas
- Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Tips for Holiday Entertaining
- How to Decorate Small for the Holidays
- Homemade Mulled Wine and Cider
- Holiday Apartment Décor
- Winter Recipes to Warm Your Soul
- 5 Recipes to Reinvent Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Your Stress-Free Thanksgiving