Vacation Checklist – Securing Your Apartment
admin - Thursday, July 16, 2015
//php endif; ?>
Passport, check! Boarding pass, check! It seems like you are set to jet off, however, have you taken all the necessary steps to secure your apartment? The last thing we want is to come home to an apartment problem after enjoying a relaxing vacation. Here are a few preventative measures to take, to put your mind at ease when you are away.
- Resist the urge to post on social media that you are out of town. Publicizing that your home will be unoccupied opens you up to potential burglaries. We know you are excited to share all of your beautiful photos, but unplug and save it for when you get home.
- Unplug electronic devices and small appliances.
- Stop your newspaper and mail delivery or have a neighbor hold your mail for you.
- This may seem obvious, but lock all doors, windows, and potential points of entry.
- Use light timers to make your home appear occupied or have motion lights installed.
- Set your thermostat! If you are going away in the summer, keep your home at a temperature that is cool enough to keep your plants alive. If you are going away in the winter, keep the temperature warm enough to circulate air to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Set up auto-pay, or drop off your rent check early, if you will be gone around the time that rent is due.
- Notify your credit card company that you are going out of town. Often times, credit card companies will freeze your accounts if they see charges from all over the country or world to protect you from fraud. Prevent this by giving them a heads up.
- If you have a security system installed in your home, inform the security company of your travels.
- Leave emergency contact information with a neighbor, family, and friends.
- Toss out any food from your fridge that will go bad. Who wants to clean when they just get home from vacation?
- Don’t come home to a stinky apartment, take out your trash before you leave.
Vacations should be a time to relax, unwind and have fun. Save yourself the worry and secure your home before your trip.
- How to Enjoy the Holidays
- Unique Gift Ideas
- Holiday Cookie Recipes
- Tips for Holiday Entertaining
- How to Decorate Small for the Holidays
- Homemade Mulled Wine and Cider
- Holiday Apartment Décor
- Winter Recipes to Warm Your Soul
- 5 Recipes to Reinvent Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Your Stress-Free Thanksgiving